International television market MIPCOM has increased security following the Israel-Hamas war, following the example of the French government, which tightened security measures out of fear of attacks on members of the Jewish community.
“As always, your safety is our top priority and, in line with recent events, we will stand with France and increase its national security level.” We have also increased all of our security measures across the market and they have been tightened across Cannes said Lucy Smith, head of entertainment at MIPCOM Cannes organizer RX France. “Our aim is always to do this with a minimum of inconvenience to you. And we really appreciate your cooperation.”
The tightened security measures did not lead to any significant disruptions or delays on site, and waiting times before access to MIPCOM events did not increase significantly.
The war between Israel and Hamas seems a long way from Cannes, where hundreds of international television executives have gathered to discuss the future of the global television business. MIPCOM Cannes runs until Thursday October 19th. But Smith noted that many of the roughly 70 Israeli leaders who planned to wait this year canceled after the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks.
“Due to the devastating conflict in Israel and Gaza, the majority [of Israeli attendees] couldn’t join us,” Smith said. “We are very pleased that several Israeli exhibitors are here today and others continue to exhibit with the support of their international teams.”
On behalf of MIPCOM, Smith also expressed her condolences for “all the innocent victims in Israel and Gaza following last week’s horrific terrorist attacks” and noted that RX France’s parent company, RX Global, is supporting humanitarian aid throughout the region.